Intranasal button battery: a case series
Intranasal foreign bodies are a common occurrence in children that may be either accidental or self-induced. The most vulnerable age is between 6 months and 4 years, when children tend to explore new objects. Button batteries as foreign bodies in the nasal cavity are rarely seen but common in the paediatric age group; and therefore they represent a growing danger. They are hazardous as they can cause liquefaction necrosis with subsequent severe local tissue destruction. In the case of diagnostic uncertainty regarding the precise nature of a metallic looking foreign body in the nose, a high index of suspicion should be retained for the possibility of a button battery and urgent removal should be undertaken. We present three cases of intranasal button battery to emphasise their hazards of impaction and the value of early diagnosis and treatment, which can prevent severe local tissue damage resulting in late sequelae, such as septal perforation.